Saturday, July 16, 2011

Perfume and Makeup and Blogging, Oh my

Either you can teach an old dog new tricks, or I am exceptionally immature, but I find myself 43 years old, with an established career as a lawyer and three children in the suburbs, suddenly living out my teenage dreams of getting my hands on all the cosmetics and perfume I could ever desire. Well, "all" is an extreme word given the cost of this stuff, in a world where beauty bloggers receive truckloads of high-end stuff to review, while I pay retail. By that standard I'm downright deprived. But I'm a big girl now, and I have disposable income, and given my status as a mother of three boys with a full time job, I figure I'm entitled to a few little luxuries.

And so I find myself at a point in life at which, if you were to believe the magazines, I think I'm supposed to be wearing a "signature" scent and a "signature" slash of lipstick, but instead spend glorious minutes in between conference calls, carpools, and diaper changes trying on eyeshadow pigments or trying to sniff out elusive notes in perfume blends.

So this blog will chronicle my experiments, disappointments, random thoughts, wishlists, and product reviews. I apologize in advance for the quality of pictures, as I'm generally too busy/lazy to do much more than shoot with my iPhone and email the resulting ill-lit photos to myself. But it's good to have areas in which you can improve.

Other ways in which I spend my time include knitting, cooking, making cocktails, trying not to kill all vegetation in my garden, reading (including mysteries), and watching TV, but the good stuff, you know. Sometimes maybe I'll talk about that instead of what's on my pulse points.

2 comments:

  1. I have a signature scent--Chanel No. 19. I've been wearing since I was 18, and I don't know what I'll do if it ever goes out of production. I wear it year round. I can't smell it on me unless I perspire. But the scent is in all my clothes, in my bedroom every morning, and, since you were writing about baby smell in a later post, I can smell it on babies I've been holding for a while. An ex-boyfriend says he once got a whiff of it in a cab (after we broke up), and thought I must have been there. I have a very sensitive sense of smell, and I've never been able to find another perfume that works so well for me. But now I will read along and see how it goes... xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally associate Chanel No. 19 with you! Luckily, I think it will be around as long as there is a Chanel.

    ReplyDelete