Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Kiss Me, You Fool



Let me start by saying that I've been mildly annoyed by dumb product names for as long as I've been wearing makeup, starting with Maybelline Kissing Potion back in the 70s. As if the sugary, strawberry scent wasn't embarrassing enough. I've weathered having to confess that my golden, peachy glow comes from a product called "NARS Orgasm." Seemingly half of Urban Decay's product names are things I don't really care to discuss in the office. Oh, the humanity.

My latest product enthusiasm also comes with a name I try to avoid saying out loud, but the product is so good that I find I have to with frequency. It's the new balm stain from Revlon, delightfully (and somewhat awkwardly) named Just Bitten Kissable (about $10). The color names follow the theme, with unhelpful non-descriptors such as Romantic.

But. They're great! They truly are both a balm (moisturizing, comfortable, sheer) and a stain (pigmented, exceptionally long-lasting). They come in a chunky plastic twist-up tube (apparently a dupe for Clinique Chubby Sticks, which I've never used) and go on with a minty scent but no flavor. The real treat is in the performance, which is exceptionally comfortable to wear, and extremely long-lasting. How long? Well, I applied right after breakfast, and after eating lunch (not particularly gracefully, I might add, with lots of lip-wiping) I still had a very respectable wash of color and moist feeling. I touched up, but could have easily gone about my day without doing so.

I have two colors so far, Romantic (L) and Rendezvous (R). Romantic is a perfect sheer red (I was a little nervous because it looks a touch blue-red based on the plastic tube) that I like even better than my NARS Flamenco, which I find doesn't wear very well. Rendezvous is that very-on-trend shade of tangerine that's hot this summer. I find it a little bright, but when I'm looking for something in that family it's lots of fun to wear.

Add here the usual complaints about drugstores lacking testers and product packaging that makes you guess at what's inside, but really, these are worth taking a chance on.


Today's look:
Face--CoverGirl NatureLuxe Silk Foundation in #310 Flax, MUFE HD Concealer
Eyes--MAC Paint Pot in Painterly, peachy shimmer eyeshadow from Inglot, MUFE Aqua Liner in Black, NYX Les Amoureux mascara
Cheeks--MAC Mineralize Blush in Dainty
Lips--Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain in Romantic

Scent of the Day--BPAL Celeste

No comments:

Post a Comment